Remodeling a kitchen can be a very big job. Depending on the extent of the remodeling project, remodeling a kitchen can take weeks or even months. There are, however, some things you can do to remodel your kitchen faster. The ten ideas listed below will get you started on ways to remodel your kitchen faster and still have a finished room that shows quality work and attention to details.
1. Work with the existing space if at all possible. Moving walls takes a great deal of time. It is also costly. If you are trying to update or remodel, try to think creatively about how you can make better use of the existing space. If you are trying to enlarge the kitchen, try to do so by moving or removing only one wall. This will reduce the amount of electrical work, as well as the amount of framing and drywall work necessary.
2. Don’t move the sink. Moving plumbing also takes a great deal of time, and adds significant cost to your project. Even if you are replacing the sink, keeping it in the same location will save the time of rerouting pipes, which could also result in the need for work to replace flooring.
3. Don’t move a gas line or gas appliances. Moving a gas line will take additional time in completing your kitchen remodel. In many localities, this will require the assistance of a professional. You will need to schedule this work and allow the time necessary to move the line and then make any necessary repairs to walls and flooring.
4. Choose standard-sized pre-built stock cabinets. These cabinets will probably be available for immediate pick-up or delivery, eliminating the wait for custom work and delivery. These stock cabinets will be ready to simply set in place and attach to walls or floor. This saves the assembly time required for special-order cabinets and the on-site construction time for custom cabinets.
5. If you choose custom or semi-custom cabinets, pitch in and assemble the cabinets yourself for your contractor. Assembling pre-cut cabinets is not terribly difficult if you have some do-it-yourself remodeling experience. Assembling cabinets takes time, however. If you can assemble the cabinets in advance and have them ready for your contractor or for installation, you will save time during the actual remodeling project.
6. Use large stock cabinets to make a pantry instead of building a closet. This saves the time of knocking out wall, re-framing for the closet, hanging the drywall, etc. You might even find that you prefer the appearance of the matched cabinetry throughout your remodeled kitchen.
7. Reface instead of replacing your cabinets. If your existing cabinets are in reasonably good condition, have them refaced instead of replacing them. This will also save time. In some cases, the actual work can be done in a day.
8. Install a new countertop. A new countertop will make your remodeled kitchen look bright and clean. Your choice of countertop material could completely change the appearance of your kitchen.
9. Don’t install a backsplash. If you are trying to remodel your kitchen faster, don’t take the time to install or replace a backsplash. Tile installation takes some time to set and allow it to dry completely. If you are in a hurry, leave this for a weekend project at some point in the future.
10. If you are building a window seat, save construction time by installing stock cabinets as the base for the seat. You can easily find stock cabinets the right height for a seat. Just choose cabinets that match or complement your kitchen cabinets. Then you need only position the boards on top of the cabinets and add cushions.
These ten ideas can save time on your kitchen remodel. You will probably think of others as you begin planning your project. But you can make a good start with these ten things to do to remodel your kitchen faster.
Copyright 2008 by ABCD Publishing
Source by Dan Fritschen